Brain Surgery on a Pokemon Game

I found an old copy of Pokemon Red at a flea market that was rusted beyond recognition. The legs on the internal IC’s were totally gone and it looked like someone had attempted to repair the game before. I got the game to work after I ground away at the epoxy surrounding the ROM chip and exposed more of the chip leads. Then I soldered some magnet wire to the exposed metal and routed it down to the board.

I posted this story of this fix to Imgur where it got picked up and published by Kotaku and NintendoLife. See links below:

Kotaku Article

NintendoLife Article